Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday Flotsam

Lacking inspiration for a "real" post, I'll just share some of the random thoughts floating through my (medicine) head.

Had another terrible dream last night. No dead celebrities in this one; no, it was even worse. I dreamed I ran into the ex-boyfriend that would absolutely top my list of Ex-Boyfriends I Never Want To Run Into. You know the one--the one that caused the most pain, the relationship that had the most devastating ending--THAT one. The one that I pleaded with not to contact me, and in a final (and uncharacteristically) generous act, he didn't. It's been 15 years now, but I still don't want to be reminded. Yet there he was, in my dream, and to top it off, he was with an attractive girl young enough to be his daughter. And all my dream self could think about was how the last time I saw him, I was young and thin and hot and now...well, none of the above. Thank god it's never happened in real life. (I did run into him a few months after the breakup, in a store, and we both stopped in our tracks, stared at each other for a few seconds, then ran off in opposite directions.) So...got to get off that cold medicine!

My new pet traffic peeve: when you're sitting at a secondary road, waiting to pull out onto an arterial road, it is NOT okay to go ahead and pull 1-2 feet into the road. It's NOT. Many of the roads in this part of Tulsa are pretty narrow--they're once-generous two-lane roads that have been turned into stingy four-lane roads, and when some asswipe is sitting with the front end of his car in your narrow lane, directly in your path, you must either a) hit him (not recommended, though tempting), b) come to a screeching halt (and risk being rear-ended for your trouble), or c) swerve into the lane next to you (and hope that lane is not already occupied by another vehicle). There's been an epidemic of this lately on my way to work, and all I have to say is "keep the hell out of my lane, bozo!"

A related peeve: if you can't keep your giant SUV/pickup truck/van within the confines of those admittedly stingy lanes, stay the hell out of this part of town! It's not my fault you drive an oversized vehicle, and I am not generous enough to graciously let you have part of my lane, as well. "Keep the hell out of my lane, Bozo!" The bus drivers are staying within the lines--so can you.

An unrelated peeve: McBeady spent the night again last night, and when I went home at noon, he was still there, all alone, sleeping in Dolly's bed. You lazy slacker! Send her out alone to...do whatever it is you two do during the day, while you snooze in her bed and eat her food. (I knew he was no good.)

A random sighting: twice now I've seen Frankenbuick's country cousin, "Frankenpickup," which has body panels in 3 different colors. They're everywhere--look out!

An "at myself" peeve: Every night this week I have fallen asleep on the couch during the 8:00 programming hour. Has this prompted me to go ahead and set the VCR as a contingency? No. No, it has not. Grrr.

And let's just wrap this up with a discussion of the weather, 'kay? You may have noticed that I have not been complaining about the weather. That's been because there's been nothing to complain about--it's been lovely. Sunny skies, daytime temps in the 60s and even 70s. I was out this morning in my bare feet. It's been great, BUT...(you knew there'd be a but, didn't you?)...BUT, the early bulb flowers are starting to send up their delicate little shoots and buds, and we are still several weeks away from the official "frost free" date. Which means there is a high likelihood that the poor little budding daffodils and tulips are going to get "nipped." Sigh. This happened last year to ALL of my tulips, and all but one sad little clump of daffodils. Not one of my beautiful bright red tulips lived to see the spring. It made me sad. :(

Is that it? Is that all the flotsam? I believe it is. Oh, wait...except for one consumer tip. Do NOT, for any reason, even if they're 75% off, let yourself be suckered into buying Russell Stover's sugar-free Valentine's chocolates. Blecchhh. There aren't words for how bad. Blecch. I wanted to wipe my tongue down after eating one. You've been advised.

Have a great weekend! I will attempt to do the same. But I'll be happy if I just make it through the weekend dreaming only of LIVE celebrities. Hee.

11 comments:

3carnations said...

If I lay down on the couch, I will fall asleep. Unwritten rule. It doesn't matter that I wasn't even tired...Apparently we have a very comfy couch.

Enough with the disturbing dreams already...Dream of cats and dogs tonight...

Stefanie said...

Ugh. I HATE it when I dream of ex-boyfriends. I always wake up feeling all out of sorts.

Flowers coming up already? Man, that wouldn't even OCCUR to me. Of course, we are supposed to get an alleged 15 inches of snow this weekend. I am very much hoping the weather people were wrong on that.

georgeious said...

i took off early from work... errr, i mean, was sent home sick (because i still sound crappy) at eleven, so we got out for some sun this afternoon, too.

oh, and this place has me FULL of traffic peeves, including those effin stupid pedestrians here that never look up. let's mow some people down this week, shall we?

don't call me MA'AM said...

If I lay down ANYWHERE, it's a given I will fall asleep. Sad and pathetic.

I have one of those ex-boyfriends. He is lovingly termed by all who knew him as Grumpy's Psycho Ex-Boyfriend From Hell. Even some of my former teachers refer to him with that name. It's catchy, don't you think? Have also dreamed about him on occasion... and it scares the living daylights out of me. Can totally relate.

Anonymous said...

"You know the one--the one that caused the most pain, the relationship that had the most devastating ending--THAT one."

Sigh. I know the one. It has been 5 or 6 years and I still think of him. Not HIM - I don't care about him, it's just that I can't forget who it turned me into. Funny to be reading this today because I finally just had to write about it last night. GRR.

I know you from JN, but I'm popping in from Indie Bloggers' blogroll, too! :)

lizgwiz said...

3car, I have that problem, too. You'd think I could just admit it and take steps to avoid missing shows I want to watch, but apparently I can't. (I know, admitting you have the problem is the FIRST step. Hee.)

stef, there are daffodils in my neighbor's front yard. It's crazy.

george, at least pedestrians are not a problem here, seeing as how nobody walks anywhere if they can drive. I have co-workers who drive ACROSS THE STREET to the Med-X. Crazy.

dcmm, at least we're sad and pathetic together, right? And that's a very catchy ex-boyfriend name. I like it!

stacy, nice to see you here! Thanks for stopping by. ;) I guess we've all got one of those exes, huh? Sigh.

Anonymous said...

i have these dreams quite often. usually, in my dream, i ask my husband if it is alright to have sex with them one more time, only if he doesn't mind. at least i ask, right?

lizgwiz said...

gorillabuns, that's too funny! What does your husband usually say? ;)

M.Amanda said...

Too bad about the flowers. We had that happen to us last year, but I didn't complain. It prompted my boyrfriend to give up entirely on the ugliest flowerbed in the Midwest.

lizgwiz said...

sparkling, THE ugliest? Wow. Must have been some flowerbed. ;) I don't know that mine would win any prizes, but I just love a splash of color greeting me every time I walk out the door.

Anonymous said...

in my dreams, he says it's okay to do "it" one more time, as long as it doesn't mean anything!