Wednesday, March 19, 2008

At least it's almost spring

So, what's been going on around here?

Well, New Guy is enjoying spring break with his kids this week, so I'm not seeing him. I'm trying to practice getting used to him not being around. And how's that going? Well, fine. If by "fine" you mean "I tear up whenever I think about it, so I'm trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) not to think about it." Moving on, before it happens again. Sniff.

The "Fridiron" went really well last weekend. The early rehearsals were a little...worrisome, but things started to click mid-week, and the shows themselves were lots of fun. We had good crowds and they ate it up. Both the current and former mayors were in attendance one night, a county commissioner and the state attorney general in attendance the next, and they all seemed to enjoy themselves immensely, even as we were mocking some of them to their faces. (Gotta love a politician who can laugh at him/herself.) The attorney general's wife told me my voice was "stellar," and, more importantly, New Guy came and HE was impressed. There was a large bottle of Patron tequila backstage each night, but no one got too blitzed to perform, and a good time was had by all. (Though did you know that tequila will eat right through a dixie cup, so if you're doing your expensive shots out of one, you shouldn't let it sit around any length of time? Word to the wise.) And really, any time I get to don a pink wig and white sunglasses and cavort around with a couple of feather boas as I portray one Ms. Britney Jean Spears is a good time for me. Plus, word on the street is that the Attorney General said our show was better than the one in OKC a few weeks ago, and we're always happy to best our friends from down the 'pike. Hee.

I had promised the director of the play I'm doing, from which I had to take a week off rehearsals to do the "Fridiron," that I would use any backstage downtime to work on my lines, and you know what? I did. Really. With the end result that I started back into rehearsals this week with my lines pretty well down--two days before official off-book day. Whoo hoo!

It's a very silly play--I referred to it once as "farce by the book," but I think it's going to be very, very funny, so if you're in Tulsa April 4-6 or 10-12, you should come see it.

And that's really all that's been going on in my life. Performances, rehearsals, already missing New Guy so much I can't stand it (and he's not even gone yet)...you know, the usual.

13 comments:

3carnations said...

I'm glad the play is doing well.

Sorry you're missing New Guy...Sigh. What a rough situation.

Unknown said...

Again, can I come and kick his ass anyway?

and Tequila burns a hole through your stomach if left in there too long too!

Whiskeymarie said...

Reason #362 why I don't drink tequila.

And now I'm sitting here wishing that I had a pink wig too.

stinkypaw said...

I feel for you friend...

Maybe a few shots of tequilla are in order, but not in a dixie cup, please!

I so wish I could see you in a pink wig with your white sunglasses and feather boas... oh how I wish...

georgeious said...

liz, pink makes no difference. you just like wearing jauntily-colored wigs in general. but you knew that already.

let me know which night i should come to the show.

lizgwiz said...

3car, it sucks, to be sure.

gorillabuns, yeah, sure. Come on over. :)

whiskeymarie, I'm sure there would be some lovely photo shoots if you did have one. Hee!

stinky, well, people were snapping photos all night. Maybe I'll be able to grant your wish. ;)

george, ah, you know me too well. I was flashing back to the flippy green wig! Though the pink one wasn't quite as fun to toss, for some reason.

Stefanie said...

I did NOT know that about tequila and Dixie cups. You are a wealth of helpful knowledge, Liz. New Guy doesn't know what he's missing.

L Sass said...

You got to play Britney?? You are my hero!

Sauntering Soul said...

Just make sure that after drinking tequila out of a paper cup you remember to keep your undies on while playing Britney.

Glad the performances are going well. And sorry you're sad about New Guy.

shelleycoughlin said...

That almost makes me wish I lived near Tulsa, just so I could see it! (But not enough to actually move there.)

Stupid New Guy. I'm sorry you're missing him, but seriously- he obviously doesn't know how good he's got it.

don't call me MA'AM said...

One of these days, I'm going to be able to come to a show of yours. Sadly, not this one. :-(

So good to hear it's going well!

Anonymous said...

I want to work on a play again. I miss it so much. I hope you get through the week unscathed. Being alone is a terrible annoyance.

lizgwiz said...

stef, I am a fount of trivial information, to be sure. And I think what bothers me the most is that New Guy SHOULD know what he's missing. :(

lsass, buy yourself a pink wig and go crazy!

ss, well, I told everyone I wasn't wearing underwear (even though I was, of course), just to get in character--does that count? Hee.

npw, yeah...seeing me in a play isn't QUITE enough to induce anyone to move here, I'm sure. ;)

dcmm, I'm sure there will be others. Especially since that's how I plan to get myself (relatively) sane after New Guy's departure. ;)

noelle, maybe you can hunt up some high quality community theatre, just for the fun of it.