Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Anonymous Says

I am quitting my job.

I haven't decided how, or when. I just know that I'm leaving.

And this totally sucks, because I really like my job. I think I have the best job. So I guess I have to move away. I'm not going to find anything better than the job I have now.

Yeah, this sucks.

I traditionally quit my job because I hate the boss. It happens that I really like my boss and everyone I work with, but I can't stand the big boss or his management style. Something has to change, and it's easiest to change myself.

The big boss has been around for a while, but he's relatively new to the job. I never had anything to do with him before, so I basically ignored him. It turns out that he's a jerk. Great. Just what I needed.

I always know it's time to quit when I get excited at the thought of leaving. This time it's pretty bittersweet, because, as I mentioned earlier, I really like my job. It's a great job, at least when I can ignore the big boss and all of his assorted hangers-on. (Yes, of course there are hangers-on. They might be worse than he is.) But it's getting harder and harder to ignore him. He has plans: big plans! He's such a visionary that it really is a shame that his plans are so terrible. I'm not sure if he actually thinks about them or if he just gets an idea in the middle of the night and decides to implement it the next day. Can we afford it? Is there a cheaper or better way to accomplish the same goal? Is the goal achievable or even worth trying to achieve? Who cares! If he announces that we're doing it, he'll look GREAT! That's the important thing! By the time the bills have to be paid, he'll be long gone!

Yeah, I can't possibly work there much longer.

I'm not sure if I should take comfort in the fact that just about everyone else feels the same way. For a while I thought we could suffer through it together -- after all, we almost never have to see the big boss, we just have to deal with his e-mails and his hangers-on -- but I don't think I can suffer through several more years of this.

So now I'm in a bind. If I was posting this on my own blog, I'd ask you if you know of any jobs in my industry. Unfortunately, I'm on Liz's blog today. So I guess this is the wrong day to ask whether you have ideas about jobs. I will say that I'm willing to move and that I'm really really good at what I do. I am proud of my work, at least when it doesn't involve the big boss. I love the people I work with and I really believe in the cause we're supporting. It's a good one. Too bad I can't stick with it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck whatever you do. As someone who has been in the work force for some years and worked in different industries, different sized companies, etc... I can tell you the grass is rarely greener. It's just mowed differently. If you really like what you do, consider sticking it out. Consider trying to suggest some changes and see how it goes over...

lizgwiz said...

I have been unhappy in a job/with my boss, and it is miserable. Best of luck to you in making a change.

Sauntering Soul said...

I changed jobs a year ago because my former boss made me cry at least three or four times per week. She made other people who didn't report to her directly cry a lot too. I still don't know how, but I was with her for 7 years. She's on her third assistant in the year since I've been gone.

It has been a much better year since I made the decision to leave. I hope you're able to make a positive change and stay in the same field since you love it so much. Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I feel your pain. I was looking to leave my job for similar reasons recently, but luckily the boss left before I had to!

Anonymous said...

I've been there too. Actually, in an odd way I am right now but the "big boss" isn't just one person. I wish you luck finding something where you live now.

Unknown said...

good luck in your search. you could always move here and we could sell coke can necklaces on the side of the rode because man! panhandlers seem to be happy standing around making $30grand a year doing absolutely nothing.

shelleycoughlin said...

Wow, that's a tough choice. Good luck with your decision!

andrea_frets said...

I went through that toward the end of last year. It wasn't the boss but a culmination of factors and the idea of leaving my job delighted me to no end. I started a new job in November and couldn't be happier. Good luck to you!

Elise said...

If you like the people, like the work, support the cause, and feel that you are good at what you do, there might not be a much better option out there. I mean, if Big Boss might leave sometime soon, maybe it WOULD be worth it to stick it out.

Then again, I'm sure you've considered all of that, and not knowing the field, maybe there really are lots of opportunities out there.

Scary decision, I wish you the best of luck!

Anonymous said...

My boss drives me crazy, but staying put is so much better than starting over, because I think every boss in the world has some level of crazy. Even if he or she doesn't, it's hard not to be annoyed by someone who has the job of telling you what to do.

Sometimes I wish I could be more like Smithers and just embrace the boss love.

don't call me MA'AM said...

Wow. As I read this, I thought, "Did I write TWO anonymous posts today??" Although not the exact same situation, I definitely can relate to your feelings. Good luck!!

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

I should join this activity next time! Ha!

But looks like you just put into writing what has been in my mind for months now. I feel safer talking about it here because this is in another space too! LOL

I'm hoping to quit my job soon and I'm giving myself a month or 2 timeframe!

Anonymous said...

Life is too short to work for a bad boss. I am in the same boat as you right now, but have plans to leave this summer already in place so I am trying to hang in there. Hope you find a new opportunity soon.