Wednesday, June 25, 2008

$5,000 for that thing?

Lately I've been obsessed with "Old Things Roadtrip." (Okay, that's not really the name, but you know the PBS show I'm talking about, don't you? Just trying to thwart the throngs of "Old Things Roadtrip" googlers. Though I don't know why I bother. Nothing could be more disturbing than the numerous hits I'm still getting for "hairy boobs." What's wrong with people?)

Anyway, for some reason, I can't get enough of "Old Things Roadtrip." I'm not sure why...but I think, aside from the little history lessons, and yes, I am a geek, that it's the (almostly certainly vain) hope that someday I'll be watching, and old Milly will be sitting there with the [random knick-knack] she inherited from HER Aunt Tilly, and the expert will say "this is one of the finest [random knick-knack]s I've ever seen, and I'd put it up for auction at ONE MEEEELION DOLLARS," and I'll jump up screaming, "I HAVE A [RANDOM KNICK-KNACK] JUST LIKE THAT ONE, ONLY MINE IS EVEN BETTER!"

(Wow, was that a heckuva sentence there, or what?)

I know, intellectually, that I'm not going to strike it rich with the contents of my house. I have a number of things passed down from family members, particularly my maternal grandmother. "Passed down," you see, and not "inherited," because "inherited" implies a certain value, and the things I have...acquired? Well, I like them..both on their own merits, and because they remind me of Nanny, but I'm well aware that their value is primarily sentimental.

And still, when I watch "Old Things Roadtrip," I can't help but wonder (how very Carrie Bradshaw of me) if THIS is the time I'll see it...MY [random knick-knack]...and it's worth REAL MONEY. Of course, if that ever happens, I wouldn't want to sell it, because it reminds me of my grandmother, and I'd get all nervous having something that valuable in the house, and I'd have to take out special insurance or put it into a safe deposit box, and that would certainly take all the fun out of owning it, so...maybe I'm better off as I am.

I won't stop watching, though. 'Cause you know what else is fun about "Old Things Roadtrip?" Watching the faces of people realizing they paid waaaay too much for some assembly line knock-off worth a hundred bucks. That's some good television right there.

7 comments:

3carnations said...

Old Things Roadtrip is coming to our area. I get work emails from PBS because they tried to get us to do some advertising with them. They were having a lottery for tickets to the show, and now they're looking for volunteers to help at the show. The volunteers are required to be there the whole day - Over 12 hours. That's a heck of a volunteer shift. But you get a polo shirt.

Noelle said...

I don't have any old things, unless a Mookie Wilson bobblehead doll counts.

Stefanie said...

My house came with a very old sewing machine that I'm curious if might be worth something. If you see one of those on Old Things Roadtrip, let me know, OK?

As for weird Google searches, have you checked my sidebar lately? I know who I have to thank for that most recent highlighted search! ;-)

stinkypaw said...

Used to watch that show and loved it. There was always something interesting... I still watch it once in a while. As for old things I don't have any anymore, sold a bunch last year when we sold the house, and they weren't worth that much I'm pretty sure.

shelleycoughlin said...

An old couple down the road from my parents sold their awesome old farmhouse a few years ago to some lady for dirt cheap. The lady moved in and discovered that the ENTIRE BARN was filled with antiques. So that house she paid $140,000 for made her $650,000 richer.

Why does stuff like that never happen to me?

L Sass said...

I've never understood the appeal of Old Things Roadtrip... probably because everything I own was purchased at IKEA circa 2003!

Whiskeymarie said...

I always thought it would be funny to go on that show with the tackiest piece of crap in my house, then start crying (I can do it on demand) and have a major breakdown when they tell me that it's worth bupkis.

Plus I'm pretty sure that there is nothing in my house worth more than whatever I paid for it.