Thursday, September 18, 2008

My life and times

So, what's been going on around here? Not much, as per usual.

The most exciting news is that Lil' Mama is now unable to have any more kittens. Yes, I scooped her up yesterday morning and took her to the vet, where she received an ovario-hysterectomy and some parasite removal. She did really well--went into and out of the carrier like a champion. I kept her in my garage overnight, just as a precaution, and she was cool with that, too. Purred like crazy every time I appeared to check on her, and head-butted me through the cage. This morning I scooped her back up and returned her to what serves as her "home," but I am more determined than ever to find her a REAL home. She's a sweetie. A sweetie with no uterus! Whoo hoo!

Not so sweet? The fact that the younger of the two neglected labs who live in the yard behind me has figured out how to get through the fence into MY yard. Apparently, Pudge is just irresistible. (Which I knew, of course.) I spent a good deal of time shoving her back through the fence repeatedly last night (afraid she would come through when Dolly was there and freak her shit right out) and yelling "NO!" in a very loud voice. Finally the deadbeat homeowner poked his head out of his backdoor (presumably to see why a crazy lady was shouting "NO!" repeatedly), and, instead of responding to my "Hey, your dog is getting in my yard! Hey, you! HEY!" by, oh say...coming over to talk to me, he just slammed the door and went back inside. Which infuriated me. I went inside to get shoes, so I could walk around the block and knock on his door, and when I came outside, he was in his yard. So I started calling to him again, and again he pretended not to hear me, until finally his daughter said "Dad, she wants to talk to you!" and he came over.

"Your dog keeps getting in my yard." "I know, I put up a board." I looked down, there was a board, along with the plethora of things I had piled against the fence to discourage her. Okay, great, but would it have killed you to call out to me with your intentions, instead of just slamming the door as I watched? We ended up having a fairly civil discussion, during which I asked him to keep an eye on the situation, as I a) didn't want his dog getting hurt wedging herself through the fence, and b) I didn't want his dog in my yard!

I went out with Pudge late in the evening, and sure enough, the silly dog tried to get through in a different, un-blocked-with-a-board spot and got her head stuck. So, there I was at midnight, getting chewed by mosquitos (there's an old fallen-in aboveground pool in his yard which is apparently quite the breeding ground for mosquitos and frogs) while I attempted to extricate her head from the fence. She's just a big puppy--a big puppy sadly in need of some attention, damn it, and I felt bad having to yell at her. Sigh.

What else is going on with me? Let's see...I'm going to the ballet tonight. Should be fun. I am taking tomorrow off work, as it is MY BIRTHDAY, and after three changes of plans this week alone, it looks like my family will be coming to town to take me to lunch or something. For a while, it was looking like I had taken the day off, only to be deserted by my family and left to take myself out to lunch on my birthday, and let me tell you...I was NOT looking forward to that. That, and remembering how last year I had a boyfriend to take me out on my birthday...well, I was getting a wee bit...despondent. Fortunately, the universe intervened and cancelled my sister's catering gig, so...a day with the family it is.

I have a couple of options for entertainment on Saturday night--not birthday-related, but something to do, and I'm getting together Sunday afternoon with some women friends, so maybe I'll keep busy enough not to get too depressed about the fact that I am now closer to 50 than 40. Sigh. And no closer to having met Mr. Right. Sigh again.

How pathetic is it that I'm hoping to get a new vacuum for my birthday? (Having just spent any possible new vacuum money on spaying a cat who isn't even mine, you see.) Okay, it's pathetic, moving on.

Facebook has changed my life! Okay, not so much changed my life as "put me in touch with a high school friend I haven't seen since 1981 even though we've apparently been living in the same town for the last 20 years and we're going to get together for lunch in a couple of weeks." Should be fun. Would it be wrong of me to show up with a gift, maybe in the form of a sweet little kitty to replace her old cat who died a couple of months ago? Maybe, maybe not? Hee.

12 comments:

3carnations said...

I'm thinking if someone hasn't seen you since high school and you show up with a cat for her...Well, you may have to wait another 20 years to see her again.

I hope you get the vacuum! I love useful things as gifts because I hate spending money on them!

Tony B. Loney said...

A vacuum? Send it to me! Warmest pre-felicitations upon the celebration of your natal day. And, whoever cancelled the catering gig is both a godsend and a dick.

Here's to Dolly, uterus-free and loving it! Here's to you, who'll always have your BFF a year older than you.

Jenn Martinson said...

I think the idea of the kitty is a cute one. I guess it depends on how your friend feels about it. My husband got a new cat the day after ours died, so you never know.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

M.Amanda said...

Happy Birthday! Personally, I think a vacuum is a wonderful gift. I got a hand vac one year and was totally happy. Better to get something you really want and need than the old standbys that people get because women are supposed to want them.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you get your vacuum. I am already dropping hints with my family that for Christmas I want a ladder.

Also, you did a good thing for Lil' Mama, as well as for the poor dog next door. It makes me mental when people don't care for their pets. Why even bother to have them?

Maddie said...

Happy Birthday!

Your neighbor sounds like a first class jerk. I feel sorry for his kid and dog.

Anonymous said...

Happy early birthday!

stinkypaw said...

Happy birthday my dear!! Hope you'll get that vacuum (wow, that is one weird wish!) and a great day off!

If your friend likes cat, go for it, at worst you can bring her back...

shelleycoughlin said...

Happy almost birthday!

Stefanie said...

I took the day off work in honor of your birthday, too!! Well, OK, I took it off for other reasons, but I'm thinking of you anyway. Happy Birthday! (Now I am off to tell you happy birthday on Facebook and via e-card, to make sure you're properly covered.) :-)

Sauntering Soul said...

Happy Birthday Liz!!!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get your vacuum. I think useful gifts are wonderful gifts.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Unknown said...

We know I'm never timely so, I hope your birthday was wonderful!